- Third Party Funding
- ATE Insurance
- Litigation Buy Out
- Solicitors PII
- Our Services
- Company Profile
- Key Contacts
- Examples of Our Work
- Company Policies & Updates
- Commercial Litigation
- Case Studies
- Services for Law Firms
DirectorContact James Blick
James is a Director of TheJudge, having joined the company in 2008. As an experienced broker of litigation funding and insurance, James specialises in intellectual property litigation and has a reputation as the “go to” contact for securing litigation finance in patent litigation.
James heads up TheJudge’s IP team and has worked on some of the highest profile IP disputes the litigation funding industry has seen in recent years.
James also specialises in arranging litigation funding and insurance for complex commercial litigation, group actions, international arbitrations, and portfolio solutions for law firms.
James regularly provides CPD accredited training sessions and advice to leading law firms and has spoken at numerous conferences and events including R3 Conferences, IBC IP Dispute Resolution conferences, BILA and Central Law Training.
Prior to joining TheJudge, James spent a number of years working with a leading legal expenses insurer, initially as a costs negotiator before moving to the technical claims team where he handled complex and large loss legal expenses insurance claims.
James has a BA in History from Royal Holloway University of London, a Post-Graduate Diploma in Law from the University of Sussex and completed the LPC at Guildford College of Law. James speaks fluent French having lived in Paris and completed the French Baccalaureate.
- Secured substantial litigation insurance for IPCom in Nokia Corporation v IPCom GmbH & Co KG  EWHC 2719 (Pat)
- Brokered a combined litigation financing and insurance structure for the claimant in Community Gateway Association Limited v Beha Williams Norman Limited  TCC
- Structured a litigation insurance package for the claimant in Hawksford Trustees v Stella Global UK Limited & Anor  EWCA Civ 987
- Brokered a litigation funding facility for client pursuing a major international patent enforcement program
- Secured a substantial insurance policy for a UK generics company suing a large pharmaceutical company for revocation of a patent
- Brokered a combined litigation insurance and funding arrangement involving 2 A-rated ATE insurance providers and 3 third party funders, providing an aggregate £6m funding facility for a large group action proceeding outside of the UK
- Created a bespoke litigation funding and insurance panel arrangement for Lewis Silkin LLP
- Brokered several ATE insurance facilities for substantial lender clients pursuing large volumes of surveyor and solicitor negligence claims following the repossession of mortgaged property
Articles and Publications:
“You’ve Still Got Options” - IP Risk Management and Insurance 2013 (Supplement to The Patent Lawyer Magazine), April 2013
“Third Party Funding: Getting the Best Deal” – K & L Gates’ Arbitration World, April 2013
“Litigation insurance coming of age” – Solicitors Journal, July 2012
“Insurance for employee-inventor Compensation Cases” – Patent World Magazine, November 2009